- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup cornstarch
- water in a spray bottle
- gallon size zip-top bag
- 25 drops essential oils – your choice but I recommend lemon or orange for its cleaning properties, plus two others for nice-smelling purposes.
- mold of your choice – I like to use a muffin tin with cute liners for easy, individual storing
- giant Ziploc baggie
- Throw all of your ingredients EXCEPT the essential oils together in the bag and shake, shake, shake.
- Open the bag back up and add 2-3 spritzes of water. Close the bag and knead.
- Repeat step 2 5-7 times. (If the bag gets puffy, just let the air out, it’s the baking soda and the citric acid combining)
- You want the mixture to feel like pie dough – squeeze a handful and if it stays together you’re ready.
- try not to over-water
- Now add your essential oils and re-knead the mixture.
- Pack firmly into your molds (very, very firmly. I use a second muffin tin to press them down).
- Let them dry for two days. Then move them out of the molds (hey, muffins!) and then put them somewhere up high to finish drying for another day or two.
- Store in a sealed container until you need to use them!
Using these is easy. Just drop them into your bowl until they stop fizzing. You can use a scrubby brush to clean off anything else and then flush. Good for you, good for the environment.